Indiana Jeepers

Home of the Indiana Jeepin crew!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

JeepinAl's 97 TJ build..

Go down 
AuthorMessage
JeepinAl
Admin

PostSubject: JeepinAl's 97 TJ build..   Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:59 pm

Here are the specs on it, 97, 4 cyl, auto, D30 front D35 rear, 3.73 gears, brand new 30' all terrains  

First night starting to work on it!

changed out the bumpers and ditched the side steps, also got rid of most of the plastic crap!

I know we have all seen a 2.5 Liter before however I wanted to point out how I like the factory intake system for water fording, something a YJ didn't have from the factory..

Getting the winch mocked up..

A CB antenna, mount and CB in the cab for trail use..

Also added a rear tow hook, its a factory TJ rear tow hook but in order to get it to work on the older TJ's you have to do some drilling..

Also added Delay wipers..no longer have just low and high..

Then got my Novak cable shifter installed..Everything installed except front driveshaft

During the install I had to drive it to work and back, I don't work very far at all however I noticed the trans was shifting like complete shit..I'm thinking great another problem to fix however when getting home after work and dicking around with it I noticed I knocked the TV cable loose...which explained the problems I was having..put it back on and all was good

Added another project to this list, a factory auto tran's skid.. Jeep didn't start putting these on TJ's until 03 so there will be drilling required for me but it should work, just like the factory rear tow hook did.

Well while trying to track down while I was having heater issues I found this..the connector to my resistor.. :td:

However I installed something that I think is kinda cool, yes it doesn't do anything and its there for just looks but it was 20 bucks and  I think it looks cool, don't mind the mess, the dash was still kinda torn apart while I tracked down wiring and plugs.

Also picked up these, its not a complete set but its the most important out of the set, I have found the rest of the books on ebay to complete set.  The amount of info in these is crazy and I think they will be more helpful than my haynes manual which has a bunch of a YJ stuff in it rather TJ.

I would like to pick up a set for my KJ...

Last edited by JeepinAl on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://indianajeepers.forumotion.com
JeepinAl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: JeepinAl's 97 TJ build..   Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:10 pm

Here's my dog in the Jeep..

and I found a gravel pile in the hood..I think I may like wheeling the auto instead of the 5 speed. Seem to crawl up on this nice. didn't go to far though, I don't have my auto tranny skid installed yet.

these items came today for the Jeep/winch..I have been needing a tree trunk protector since we have so many tree's in Indiana. However gotta get the winch on first Laughing

For those that remember philbert that used to be on here, well I stopped by his place this morning before going to work and left with these..

They are 04willys (for those that remember him when he used to be on here) his old 2 inch rusty's off road coil springs. They are the rear springs for a TJ.

Other thing, I have this pile of coil springs in the parts shed..some coil springs from a ZJ, XJ's and a four door JK..What can I say I love spare jeep parts. Anyway anyone know how much lift ZJ springs would give a 4 banger TJ?

Then changed the plugs, cap, rotor and wires..runs pretty good

pug in a jeep!

then the next night got this..

and put this on it..

I woke up this morning and found someone took my rims and tires!

Nah, I just replaced the tacky spray painted black rims with some stock steelies I had in the jeep parts shed. When I had the tires switched over I had them mount the tires black wall out...Its always gotta be about color I know.. Laughing

I also found and confirmed my power steering leak today, I fired it up had the wife sit in it and turn the wheel to full lock on each side. Its my power steering pressure switch. It must not be totally bad because from what I have read it should stall the engine on tight turns like into a park spot and what now. Never the less its getting replaced! Then I need to scrub down the whole front part of the drivers side frame rail that its dirtied up.. 🇹🇩

Got all my springs though!

However the lift got put on hold due the trans problems from a prior wheeling trip..turns out I got water in my trans! Mad 

At least it was a nice day to work on it..

New filter in. When I pulled the pan off, everything was so clean (just a little trace of mud in the bottom of the pan yet) I felt I should of been wearing rubber gloves or something..

and remember folks.. alway consult your FSM..

Anther thing I kept off the YJ when I traded it for my current TJ was my Alpine radio/cd player with iphone hook up. I finally got around to installing it today..I like it much better over the old radio that was in it. I'm still rocking stock speakers which will probably stay that way for awhile as I'm not really that big into sound systems, just wanna be able to listen to tunes..

Video to prove it works..yeah the jeep was idling in the beginning
https://youtu.be/Op9sSzlYeg4

I'm collecting more parts..just need to find time to work on it..
My new to me HP Dana 30..

XJ front driveshaft..

and the aussie locker for the new D30.. its a temp locker..I would like to run ARB's front and rear.

I just need to find a TJ D44 and I'm set on axles. I kinda have a new vision for this TJ. As most know in a couple years we plan to get a 4 door JK. At that time I want to make a father/son TJ project, what I mean by that is basically put together a really cool TJ thats a streetable and wheelable jeep for my son when he becomes driving age. Now I know some of you are saying man thats a long time away! Well yeah your right it is! However everything put on this TJ is transferable to any other TJ platform and even on the LJ model jeeps. I figure when he becomes driving age, the TJ model will be basically like what a CJ model was and still is for my driving age era. A classic old jeep. I see no problem in finding a new frame, tub and other parts to "build" a cool Jeep TJ for my son to get the keys on his 16th or high school graduation. We will build it together, put hard work into it and bam surprise him later on and sign the title over. Then we will take our rigs wheeling somewhere..

*edit* oh yeah, I also plan on breaking him in and teaching him how to wheel and pick lines earlier on too. So he just doesn't get this nice TJ and not really know what to do with it. I don't see any harm in letting him take my jeep up a rock face or what not at the badlands.. when he is old enough and shows interest. I'm talking when he is like 14/ 15 years old.
Back to top Go down
JeepinAl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: JeepinAl's 97 TJ build..   Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:52 am

I finished lifting my TJ today, its now got a 2 inch suspension lift and 1 inch body lift.. still rocking the 30 inch A/T tires for now. I need to finish my HP D30, and track down a TJ D44 for the rear. Then of course regear those axles. I should able to run at least a set of 33's I think with the new set up..
Coffee helps in the morning..

The rear springs where really stuck to the axle.. it took some prying but they fell out later..

Am I missing something?

The new front springs and shocks are in (had already finished up the rear)

and bam, this how she looks right now..

Next to my KJ..

What gears do you think I should go with? I'm thinking 4.56? I have a 2.5L back by an auto..I wanna run 33's or 35's..
Back to top Go down
95Yam

PostSubject: Re: JeepinAl's 97 TJ build..   Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:32 pm

With an auto 4.88 imho. Looks great btw . On a side note I just had Fw clutch rebuild, shorten, and add an 8.8 yoke to an xj front shaft for a spare. They did a great job. Just over $225 fyi
Back to top Go down
MrLawMoose

PostSubject: Re: JeepinAl's 97 TJ build..   Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:52 am

I agree 4.88 wouldn't be a bad idea. I think you could be ok with 4.56
Back to top Go down
JeepinAl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: JeepinAl's 97 TJ build..   Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:34 pm

I have always had really good luck with FW clutch myself too. They did the u-joints on my HP D30 axle shafts on the YJ, cut and rebuilt the XJ front driveshaft I had for the YJ. I will go back to them for other Jeep stuff too..

I will probably go with 4.88 gears I'm thinking. Seems to be what most people think would be best. Then of course lockers too Very Happy 

I'm ready to get some 33's! My current drivers side tire slowly loses air now.. dang street tires..
Back to top Go down
MrLawMoose

PostSubject: Re: JeepinAl's 97 TJ build..   Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:26 pm

I got my 33's.........
Back to top Go down
95Yam

PostSubject: Re: JeepinAl's 97 TJ build..   Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:57 am

Take a part had a set of 33 all terrains on rims. Unilug. Not sure if they would fit but its worth a look. They looked like they would be better on the road than off but...didnt look super close for brand. Right inside the main door to the left....
Back to top Go down
JeepinAl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: JeepinAl's 97 TJ build..   Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:01 pm

Ah, I have my heart set on a pair of Km2's! I need to make a trip out there though for a 4.0L throttle body..
Back to top Go down
MrLawMoose

PostSubject: Re: JeepinAl's 97 TJ build..   Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:10 pm

afro We should go bud! I need a rear end for the dart and who knows for the jeep
Back to top Go down
JeepinAl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: JeepinAl's 97 TJ build..   Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:03 pm

Added a yellow top!
Back to top Go down
MrLawMoose

PostSubject: Re: JeepinAl's 97 TJ build..   Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:06 am

I got 2 battery tray....
Back to top Go down
JeepinAl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: JeepinAl's 97 TJ build..   Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:02 pm

Added some stuff and fixed some stuff on the TJ!

I finally got around to fixing that leaky tranny cooler line!

Replaced how it connects into the tranny, I got rid of the plastic clip deal for a screw on type like the rear..

New set up

I also got some front sway bar disco's..

and got those installed this weekend.. seem to work pretty good

Just need to get some new wheels and tires and I would be happy...for awhile Laughing
Back to top Go down
JeepinAl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: JeepinAl's 97 TJ build..   Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:03 pm

The TJ and I are getting tired of the cold weather, we don't mind the snow however!

The TJ will also be getting a set of new rims! Just your standard black steel rims. I bought a 4 off a guy from NAXJA, however won't receive them until winterfest at the badlands. For the time being though I picked a spare up. It was labeled as a blem, but I can't find anything wrong with it other than the 4 rims bought are "D" window style and this is a soft 8. I plan to find a shitty spare 33 inch tire to throw on the soft 8 anyway so it shouldn't be on the Jeep much unless I need it.
Back to top Go down
JeepinAl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: JeepinAl's 97 TJ build..   Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:04 pm

I got some junk to put on the TJ...

However the air filter set up won't work on my TJ, it was another thing off the YJ..
Back to top Go down
MrLawMoose

PostSubject: Re: JeepinAl's 97 TJ build..   Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:59 pm

This is still lame
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: JeepinAl's 97 TJ build..   

Back to top Go down

JeepinAl's 97 TJ build..
Page 1 of 1